Sunday, August 30, 2009

Who's on First

Everyone loves the classic Abbott & Costello bit.

Four hours into a six hour car trip, right as the moon has risen, but before full darkness has settled....

Charlotte: What's that planet there?

Dawne (piping right up): It's probably Mars. I read an article just the other day about how we can see Mars now, but when it goes away, it won't be visible for another 6,000 years.

Me: Wow! Really? Where is it?

Dawne: It's supposed to be close to the moon.

Ellen (Peering out the window): Where?

Me: It's still so light, I don't see anything but the moon. I thought it was Venus you could see early in the evening.

I look into the rearview mirror to see Charlotte with an odd look on her face.

Ellen: Where is it?

Charlotte: By the side of the road.

Ellen (still peering out the window): What?

Charlotte: Not out in that field...right by the road.

Dawne (ignoring the exchange): I keep meaning to go out and look for it, but I never remember after it gets dark.

Me (frustrated now): What are you talking about Charlotte?

Charlotte: Those curly flowers by the side of the road. What are you talking about?

Ellen: You asked what's that planet there.

Charlotte: No....I asked what's that planted there....

Maybe it was a combination of an emotional day in the sun hopped up on pseudo-ephedrine, followed by too many hours in the car, but I laughed all the way home.

1 comment:

  1. And I thought it was only my pre and primary school kid boys who said and heard things like that.
    Nice to know one is not alone.

    ReplyDelete