Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Shake and Pop, Twerk and Work, Wait. What?

This morning at Jazzercise, I went through one of those phases where I listen to the lyrics of all the songs to distract myself when I get tired. The lyrics to one song in particular jumped out at me. That complex and thought-provoking song....Shake and Pop. The lyrics go something like this:

Shake shake shake shake
Pop pop pop pop
Shake shake shake shake
Pop pop pop pop
Shake and Pop Shake and Pop
Now shake now bounce
Now pop now drop
Now twerk now work

Wait! What???

I was with him until that last line.

I can shake, and I can even pop. Lord knows, I'm working, but what, pray tell, does it mean to twerk? It sounds like something the mother of teenagers shouldn't do...in public anyway.

Until I looked up the lyrics, I thought he was saying twerp and work. I'm all like, "Is he calling me a twerp? Cause that's just rude." I reserve that term for immature ninth grade boys (in my head of course).

I did what any good writer who wants to add to her vocabulary would do. I looked it up. Google sent me to the Urban Dictionary which lists multiple usages of "twerk." Turns out my first instinct was correct. It is absolutely something the mother of teenagers should not do in public. The most benign of all the possible meanings of twerk is to shake your booty, and I'm pretty sure that's what the guy in the song wanted us to do.

And trust me. We shake it in that song. In fact, the gal in front of me turned around and said, "I apologize if my ass flew up and hit you in the face on that one."

Do you know how hard it is to breathe properly when you're laughing hysterically?

All in all, a productive morning. I exercised, added to my vocabulary, and got a good belly laugh to boot. You really should do all three every day.

I would include a Lala version of the song for your listening pleasure if Lala hadn't gone out of business. Playlist.com didn't have the appropriate remix, so I'm embedding a youtube version of the song. I apologize in advance if it gets stuck in your head. I've been hearing "shake shake shake shake" in mine all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment