Friday, May 13, 2011

13 Reasons to Smile

When I have a particularly rough week, I make a list to remind myself there are reasons to smile. I really needed that list this week, so here goes...

Little things that made me happy this week:

1. Changing the wallpaper on my phone to Dave Grohl rocking out on his guitar.



2. Speaking of Dave Grohl…The Foo Fighters’ Wasting Light album which I have played over and over and over. "Bridge Burning" is my ring tone.


3. Student saying, “You’re a good storyteller, Mrs. Owens. You should write a book or something.”


4. This comment on Facebook when James got voted off of American Idol.

crooked mouth slang singing howdy doody looking still on and not James Omg!!


5. This slogan on a student's t-shirt.
6. Increasing my hand weights at Jazzercise by 6 pounds.


7. Reading Romeo’s dying words for the 70th time.
“Eyes look your last. Arms take your last embrace. And lips, o you the doors of breath, seal with a righteous kiss a dateless bargain to engrossing death.”

And the dead (no pun intended) silence in my squirreliest class when we watched that part of the movie.


8. School board voting no school on Memorial Day.


9. The Dove dark chocolate bunny Bruce knew I would surely need this week. He’s half gone (the bunny, not Bruce). And yes, I ate his ears first.


10. The email telling me there were doughnuts in the workroom, and my friend, Linda, subsequently crediting the “f’n doughnut” for her sudden burst of inspiration.


11. The brownie that came with my lunch today. (I know, I know. I’m drowning my sorrows in sugar…but when you add the cocoa bean to it, sorrows do abate.)

12. A boy screaming “SPIDER!” and the girl next to him rolling her eyes and killing it.

13. The text message from my bff, Pam, which always seems to come at exactly the right moment.


1 comment:

  1. Okay-
    just found your blog and had to laugh b/c I am Katharine Owens, also a writer and teacher! I write YA. Hopefully we'll appear next to each other on a bookshelf sometime in the future?
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete