Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Hard Work Pays Off

I had one of those wonderful breakthrough moments today. After being monumentally blocked on my WIP, I wrote 2,000 words today. That translates to roughly 10 pages. Letting it sit for six weeks helped. Rereading from the beginning helped. The devil is in the details, and I picked up on several forgotten details in the reread, especially where my villain is concerned. The accomplishment felt extremely satisfying because I stared at p.254 for weeks having no clue how to get to p. 255. I'm there and then some. Woo Hoo!

Achievements based on the sweat of your brow always feel better. My youngest son came home from New Hampshire last weekend. He visited his grandparents and went to football camp at Dartmouth. This was his second football camp of the summer. The first was here at Georgetown College where Bruce is a coach. He loved the Dartmouth camp because after doing well enough on the first day to practice the rest of the week with the varsity (He's a rising freshman), he felt like he totally owned the accomplishment. He wasn't Coach Owens' kid. He was just another kid in camp, the one from Kentucky with the funny accent. His hard work all summer (albeit with his dad and his dad's college players) paid off.

I'm still a little giddy from the day's work. I may go back and delete half of it later, but I'm moving again. I'm gonna make like Dear Abby and dispense some advice. If you have a task looming over you, keep plugging away. It feels so good when you finally push through and get it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment