Friday, March 26, 2010

Life is a Journey, and I've hit a Milestone!

This has been a hellava week. I truly believe the universe seeks balance in all things. My colleagues in the science department call it entropy, and I'm a firm believer. I've had a rough couple of weeks in some aspects of my life and an amazing week in my writing life. I'm gonna focus on the amazing part here because, honestly, who wants to focus on the difficult parts?

I have a literary agent! WOO HOO!

Yes, my friends, I have risen out of the slush pile and secured an agent for Sapphire Sins. Robert Brown of Wylie-Merrick Literary Agency offered to represent my novel, and I accepted.

What does this mean?

I have someone on the inside who believes I've written a book that people will buy and read. He, in turn, will use his contacts to sell my book to a publisher. That's a big deal. I am one step closer in my quest for publication. I have a lot more to say about perseverance and process, but I'm saving that for another blog post.

Life is a journey, not a destination. I know it's a cliche, but that's because it's true. Tonight, I'm celebrating a milestone on that journey. I've lived long enough to experience some low moments, so I know to cherish the high moments when they come along. I'm blessed to have people around me with whom to celebrate those high moments.

My family happy-danced with me on Wednesday. Today, my colleagues brought me a beautiful bouquet of sunflowers, the world's largest, most decadent cupcakes from GiGi's, a singing card, and a bottle of wine. Then, they took me out after school and bought me dinner. Have I mentioned that I work with the best people in the world? My new agent warned me not to quit my day job. I wouldn't dream of it. I love going to work every day. I love teaching, and I love my fellow teachers. They inspire me on a daily basis.

I've spent the last couple of days trying to wrap my brain around my new state of affairs. Tomorrow, I'm getting down to work on my second job. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment