Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Romance as Social Justice

I just read an incredible article on the romance genre, why it is so reviled among certain segments of the population, and why the genre in general can promote more progressive thinking in society.

A whole lot of us read romance novels. The evidence lies in the gains romance made in sales last year as most genres declined. Many of us read them quietly, embarrassed when asked what we are reading. I always have a book with me, and when it is romance (as it often is), I always make some mitigating comment. Why? Maybe because as an English teacher I'm supposed to have more sophisticated tastes? This article explains why society is prejudiced against the genre and why those attitudes should change.

Enjoy. The Eroticization of Equality and Social Justice

No comments:

Post a Comment